16 November 2012

The Thankful Tree

Autumn is such a beautiful season – the colors, the weather, etc. More than that, though, it is beautiful to see people give thanks, counting how many ways God has blessed them. And for each and everyone of us living and breathing, that list is unending.

One way we display reminders to cultivate a thankful heart is with The Thankful Tree. This year instead of scrapbook paper we are using wooden chalkboard tags.

The Thankful Tree

For assembling, all you need is:

Sticks
Wooden Chalkboard Tags (make your own or buy them already made)
Chalk (you can sharpen the chalk with a pencil sharpener)
Scissors
Glass Jar – gallon (shown) or half-gallon
Assorted Nuts, for extra beauty
Burlap and/or Ribbon, for extra beauty
Thankful Heart (“I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart…”)

The Thankful Tree

The Thankful Tree

“Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon His name;
make known His deeds among the peoples!
Sing to Him, sing praises to Him;
tell of all His wondrous works!”

—1 Chronicles 16:8-9

The Thankful Tree

Are you building a Thankful Tree this year? What blessings will you be etching on the ornaments?

1. 52 Responses to “The Thankful Tree, with Chalk”

2. Jacqueline @ Deeprootsathome.com on Nov 17, 2012 said:

Elegant and yet rustic enough for a cabin!! I’ve used whole nuts for years to weight a beautiful twiggy tree branch, but I may just have to spring for these cute little chalkboard tags! This is so appealing and easy! Thanks for the inspiration!! Would you consider linking this up *now* to be featured next Wednesday?? *big cheeky smile*
    Warmly,
    Jacqueline

3. MissMOE on Nov 17, 2012 said:

Hiking into the barranca to find a good branch for our thanksgiving tree is on my list of things to do today. I love the idea of chalkboard tags! Beautiful post and pics!

4. Kara @ The Yellow Warbler on Nov 17, 2012 said:

What a fun idea! I love the wood tags, and the things you’re thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving!

Kara

5. Susan Smith on Nov 17, 2012 said:

What a great idea, Emily Rose! I love it! And it is so simple to make—and we just happen to have some leftover chalkboard paint! Have a wonderfully blessed Thanksgiving!

6. Brittany Alexander on Nov 17, 2012 said:

That’s so neat, Emily! Thanks for sharing this idea!

7. Karen L on Nov 18, 2012 said:

Thank you for such a Lovely Idea, this is something that I am truly Grateful For! Sweet Lady, God bless You!

8. Pam on Nov 18, 2012 said:

Ah, this is wonderful! Perfect! Thanks so much for sharing. I just love your blog. It’s so inspiring, pretty, and helpful.

9. Emily M. on Nov 18, 2012 said:

I love the chalkboard! Last year I saw the one you did, and we made one. So this year we thought it would be fun to do another one, put on all the tags we made last time, and have everyone do another tag. Thanks for this sweet idea!

10. Cindy on Nov 19, 2012 said:

Wonderful idea! We have 9 children and we love to do this same thing each year. Every November, my daughter cuts up colorful strips of paper, sets out a bowl that has a verse from a Thanksgiving hymn written on it, and pencils for all of us to write things we are thankful for each day. By the end of the month, the bowl is overflowing with thankfulness. Then, on Thanksgiving Day during our meal, we pass the bowl around and take turns reading the papers.

I love your map in the background of the picture. We homeschool our children, and I am always looking for maps. Where did you get it?

Blessings,

Cindy Cole

11. Emily Rose on Nov 19, 2012 said:

Mrs. Cole, that is a wonderful way to record and share what everyone is thankful for!

We purchased the map about six years ago at Staples for approximately $3-$5. I’m not sure if they still carry them, but hopefully they do.

12. Yaya on Nov 21, 2012 said:

How Beautiful!!We made our first thankful tree today. Such a wonderful project, and so versatile! We will be doing it every year from now on.

Yours is very nice :)

God bless,
    Yaya

13. Andrea on Nov 21, 2012 said:

I love the wall color–do you have the name by chance?

14. Miss Caitie H on Nov 22, 2012 said:

This is a wonderful Thanksgiving idea! We have been making one today – still busy, actually – and it has been very enjoyable to watch the “tree” come to life and become more beautiful with each note of gratitude. Many thanks to you, Emily, for sharing!

Blessings,

Caitie

15. carolinatractorgirl on Nov 25, 2012 said:

Now that idea is simply FABULOUS!!! It looks very farmlike. I want to try that out.

16. sara on Nov 26, 2012 said:

I am enjoying the pictures and your creative ideas! Beautiful!! God bless

17. Mindy on Dec 3, 2012 said:

What a lovely idea! I would have never thought of sharpening the chalk.

18. Noel McNeil on Dec 14, 2012 said:

I love this idea! I am going to have to start one…
    Could you tell me where you got the map on the wall in the background? I’ve been looking for one. Thanks!

19. Emily Rose on Dec 14, 2012 said:

Noel, we purchased the map about six years ago at Staples for approximately $3-$5. I’m not sure if they still carry them, but hopefully they do.

20. Toodie on Sep 4, 2013 said:

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I love this idea! And not only for the holidays, but for every day! I absolutely adore yours!

21. RHONDA FREEL on Sep 7, 2013 said:

Thank you for sharing this amazing idea. I will have to min wax mine as I am allergic to trees ,weeds,grass. Though I thought that this would make an awesome fall / THANKS GIVINGS DAY ITEM OF SHARING AND BEING THANKFULL FOR ALL THAT OUR LORD HAS GIVEN US.

22. Joy Rickner on Oct 27, 2013 said:

Hi Emily Rose! This is such a wonderful idea! I plan on doing that this year with our family. I think our daughter, Blessing will enjoy it so much! By the way, it was great to see you at the Azure pickup last week! I can’t believe that you remembered me! You have grown into such a Godly, talented young woman! God Bless…. Joyful

23. shannon ellis on Nov 6, 2013 said:

Will you sell me a thankful tree? Not only am I not artistic but I have absolutely NO time to make one this year. I have been telling my future husband about our gratitude tree we will be getting to teach our unborn child about gratitude and being thankful. We have been looking for the perfect one for us and this is it!!

Please advise.

24. Jennifer Davenport on Nov 6, 2013 said:

Just wanted to say how much I loved your “Thankful Tree” idea!. I shared it with my fans on Facebook, and they are in love!
    Your blog is beautiful and a feast for the eyes! Love it.

25. Melinda on Dec 27, 2013 said:

I love this idea! I don’t know where I can purchase wooden tags. This would be fun to do with the grandchildren. Do you have any idea’s what we could call a winter tree? Thanks Melinda

26. Dorothy Boucher on Sep 25, 2014 said:

what a beautiful idea , am going to make one :) thanks for share @tisonlyme143

27. Loa Dunn on Oct 2, 2014 said:

Emily, I enjoyed browsing through your photographs and reading some of your blogs. I keep discovering more about you and your family and wonder, “How did I not know all this before now?” I’m continually impressed with how God has blessed and used your family and how He continues to do so. When I read your “About Me” paragraph, I thought, “Hey! Emily and I are just alike! I’m a people lover and have the gift of hospitality . . . the only minor differences are that I am not a photographer or graphic artist.” Ha!

My “Joy to the world” embroidery pattern kit was waiting for me when I arrived home from vacation a couple days ago. I am so impressed with the packaging and the quality materials. I can’t wait to get started on it, and truly appreciate the detailed stitching instructions.

God bless you in a mighty way!

Loa

28. EVCreations on Nov 10, 2014 said:

Thanks for such a beautiful idea for a Thanksgiving decoration. I shared it with my fans on Facebook and on my Blog.

29. Wednesday-Elf on Nov 17, 2014 said:

What a delightfully charming idea. Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday as it’s such a sharing day and this Thankful Tree is a wonderful way to add to the ‘sharing’.

30. Cynthia on Nov 19, 2014 said:

What a beautiful craft and Thanksgiving decoration! I absolutely love this idea. Thank you for sharing it.

1. 23 Trackback(s)

2. Nov 22, 2012: Simply Vintagegirl Blog » Blog Archive » Give Thanks – Chalkboard Lettering for Thanksgiving
  3. Nov 22, 2012: Happy {Creative} Thanksgiving
  4. Nov 22, 2012: The journey begins | 7thingsfor7days.net
  5. Dec 13, 2012: Six Angles » The Thankful Tree
  6. Sep 4, 2013: 25 DIY Fall Decor Ideas
  7. Nov 15, 2013: Friday Favorites! - Cathy Mores Photography
  8. Nov 18, 2013: My Sister Says | A Little Thanksgiving Inspiration
  9. Nov 25, 2013: Top 10 DIY Thanksgiving Gratitude Crafts - Top Inspired
  10. Nov 27, 2013: Favorite Family Thanksgiving Traditons
  11. Sep 15, 2014: 16 Fall Decor Projects | A Little Craft In Your Day
  12. Sep 30, 2014: Do-It-Yourself Fall Home Decor Ideas Readers.com Blog
  13. Oct 13, 2014: Thankful Tree DIY Inspiration - Beau & Diva Decor
  14. Oct 14, 2014: 15 Rustic Autumn Ideas | My Blog
  15. Oct 23, 2014: Rice Krispie Turkey legs and other fun Thanksgiving ideas - Jennifer Rizzo
  16. Nov 3, 2014: Thankful Trees for Thanksgiving
  17. Nov 11, 2014: Fun and easy Thanksgiving DIY crafts to do with your kids - ShopBlog
  18. Nov 14, 2014: Giving thanks craft | homedesignmagz.com
  19. Nov 14, 2014: 5 Thanksgiving Crafts - K12 - Learning Liftoff - Free Parenting, Education, and Homeschooling Resources
  20. Nov 14, 2014: Giving thanks craft Pictures • HD Sport Pictures
  21. Nov 14, 2014: DIY Fall Decorations - Fresh Mix Momma
  22. Nov 14, 2014: 15 Budget Savvy Thanksgiving Decorations Round Up - Arts and Classy
  23. Nov 19, 2014: Simple Thanksgiving Decor | The Art of Moseying
  24. Nov 21, 2014: 50 Thanksgiving Decorating Ideas - Home Bunch - An Interior Design & Luxury Homes Blog